Small Steps EQUAL Giant Leaps

“Thats one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind,” is what astronaut Neil Armstrong was quoted saying after landing on the moon. It may have been a small step he had taken as a person, but he was taking into account all the steps, processes and calculations NASA had taken to get him there.

Metaphorically, what he said can be equated to your fitness endeavor, trials and successes in your everyday life. Let’s think about this in two parts.

1. One small step – that’s all you need to take. To achieve your goals, simply change one thing every week or every two weeks. If you’re trying to lose weight, just drop soda one week and once you get that down you can choose to drop cake and ice cream. Then you can choose to drop fast food, and then you can work on lowering your saturated fats and carbohydrates.
  2. One giant leap – who knew that all them little steps were necessary for eventually making that giant leap? For my metaphor’s sake, I’ll stick to weight loss in this example:  You were trying to lose weight and you eventually succeeded. You lost 60 lbs, most of which was fat, and you are now really lean. A transformation photo would show the giant leap in body composition. The photo wouldn’t show, however, the collective small steps and commitment necessary to achieve that leap.

I realize Neil Armstrong’s journey to the moon has nothing to do with fitness or our personal journeys unless we want to really go to the moon, but metaphorically I am assured that this was pretty sound.

If you wish to achieve many small battles and succeed in a giant leap at some point in your life, keep in mind the end goal and the giant leap you will be taking. Also, keep in mind that there will be many small steps to take along the way. That seems to be the way to do things right, by making small steps and eventually getting big results.

Thanks for reading and if you liked my post please submit your email and/or follow via WordPress and you can receive free updates when I post new content.

Tagged , , , ,

22 thoughts on “Small Steps EQUAL Giant Leaps

1. will says:

Just adding 2.5 lbs to the bar is over 100lbs a year

Liked by 1 person

2. chryestie says:

The timing for me to find this is perfect. I always want to go all out. If I want to try one type of fitness program, ohhh look at all my choices how can I do them all. If I want to diet, I want to try the carrot diet and the pineapple one etc (no there’s not such a thing) One small step, I can do this. πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

• Awesome! You can do it. Just focus on the little things. Also, if you’re looking into diets I will be giving you plenty of information on that. I’ve lightly covered the paleo diet(I’ll give more info eventually) and I am just starting intermittent fasting. Both for my benefit and to show people the results from beginning to finish.

3. Jean Faraday says:

This couldn’t have come at a better time for me. I’ve been losing motivation to exercise over the last few days. This post was the gentle reminder I needed to keep going and not give up.

Liked by 1 person

• I’m glad that this helped. A lot of times, looking at the grand scheme of things and the end goal that you have will probably discourage you. Just keep at it and if you plateau and stop seeing results, then just change one variable in your diet and exercise. That’s what the small steps are about. Keep making them and eventually you’ll make that giant leap πŸ™‚

4. quasiauthor says:

I love this! Two years ago, I was 50 pounds heavier and miserable. I had a 5 month old and couldn’t stroller her to the neighborhood park. I knew I needed to change. So, every day I walked past one more house than before. I finally made it to the park, which was only a mile away. Now, I run 3.5 miles on a “lazy” day. I am slowly learning weight lifting in the gym! I would have never thought I would be so focused on fitness two years ago.

Liked by 1 person

• It’s all because you remained consistent and dedicated, and took just small little steps. You did an amazing job. I don’t know you but I’m proud that someone who accomplished such a great amount of weight loss has commented on my post! You’re great.

5. cathymack62 says:

Thanks for the reminder about small steps. So often I get discouraged by looking at the big leap that I wish could be accomplished all at once.

Liked by 1 person

• Same here! I made the post for myself just as much for you and everyone reading. I currently have a higher body fat percentage than I want what I want and I’m not as strong as I want to be, and you can’t get stronger and cut at the same time usually. So I have to take it one step at a time and not even worry about the end yet, although I’m sure I’ll get what I’m looking for within 6 months now.

Liked by 1 person

6. I think this is such a true word! So often, people look at the ‘big picture’ of how much weight they have to or want to lose and get discouraged by the amount of effort it will take to get there. But if we take just one small step, we will break it down into something not so scary or overwhelming to undertake, but that will pay off in the long run. And a series of small steps – BOOM! There we are πŸ™‚ Thanks!

Liked by 1 person

7. Janelle says:

Reblogged this on Facets of my Rich Life and commented:
    Excellent post reinforcing that small changes add up to achieving big goals. A reminder to me on the crazy brain days, when thoughts of giving up start dancing in my head.

Liked by 1 person

8. odyssaa says:

One small step – that’s all you need to take. -yes I agree. When I know that I need to go for a run all it takes is stand up, get out of the bed!

Liked by 1 person