Questions to Ask a Friend with a Chronic Illness

This is pretty cool! My Crohn’s is very tame compared to what it used to be, but I’d love to know about any events related to IBD. I think running a 5k for IBD awareness would be awesome!

Mangia Paleo

what to say to someone with a chronic illnessThis post is for friends, boyfriends, girlfriends, family, and anyone close to those with a chronic illness.

Lately I’ve been discovering articles on things not to say to someone with Crohn’s, ulcerative colitis, and other chronic illness. They are fantastic! Some made me frustrated and others made me laugh. It’s pretty accurate. But these articles prompt us to beg the question, “what do you say to someone with a chronic illness?”.

Below are some questions rather than statements. An inquisitive friend is a great friend to have. If you ask the right questions we will give you information we want you to have.

What are your limitations?

The answer to this question will help you decide how to better treat your friend. When you make plans with a friend who has a chronic illness they may have some things to work around. Limitations can involve food choices, being away from a bathroom, a long day with no…

View original post 496 more words

13 thoughts on “Questions to Ask a Friend with a Chronic Illness

1. Great questions! I’m not chronically “ill” per se but do deal with chronic pain among other things and know many people who have worse chronic pain than I do so I totally think these are great, to show consideration and compassion.

2. pixieannie says:

Whoops. Also meant to say that it raises another issue. If someone asks how you are as they walk by you in the street, I find myself in a difficult position. I end up saying that I’m fine. If I said I wasn’t, what would they do? Continue to walk without enquiring further? Do the majority of people actually care or are they limited by time? This is probably worthy of a post in its own right.

3. pixieannie says:

I think that this can apply to many areas of our lives and not just chronic illnesses. I am aware that my nutritional requirements and stomach issues, affect what I do and where I go. It’s one of the reasons I don’t stay away from home without an incredible amount of planning.

Great post, as always.

Liked by 1 person

• I’ve been wondering this lately…is chronic illness becoming more common? Or is it just diagnosed better lately?

• pixieannie says:

I think it’s been around for quite some time. Processed foods are no doubt a huge culprit. I also believe that as people travel more, live longer, endure more stress, that these things become much more noticeable.

Liked by 1 person

• Yeah. I guess you could say all of your conveniences come at a price. Fast food is fast and easy, but can be bad for your health. Cell phones are convenient, but can be addicting and stressful in their own way. As we make things easier, we have more stress as well.

• pixieannie says:

and more rubbish. I’m having a particularly bad day with my stomach and it’s floored me for the last few hours. I even ended up sleeping for an hour and that’s almost unheard of for me. Kale is not my best friend right now.

Funnily enough, both my dogs have IBD and I’ve spent several hours this week, cleaning up after them. It’s quite horrendous. I almost lost one of them when she had a massive bleed; the scariest moment of my life. They go down hill so quickly. They have a super strict diet but sometimes, they snaffle a bit of rubbish while out walking and so they’ll have to be muzzled in order to stop that horrible habit. It’s for their own good but what fun is that?

Liked by 1 person

• That’s no fun :/ but I guess it’s a fair price to pay to be healthy at least.

• pixieannie says:

No. It’s completely not ok. It renders me useless and the pain is unbearable. Fortunately, the toilet is close to my bed. I’ll have to stick to safe foods from now on.

Liked by 1 person

• It seems pretty unfair sometimes that some of us can’t eat whatever we want 😦

• pixieannie says:

I know, right? I’m so pissed off that I can’t eat broccoli or kale, onions or heavily spiced food. I’ll have to rethink my diet again and for now, I’ll stick to what I know is safe.

Liked by 1 person

• Yeah good for you. Like an elimination diet? Eating very few foods and then slowly reintroducing some?

• pixieannie says:

Yes. I’ve done it for quite some time now. I got through the night in not a nice way.